John has worked at NARA since January 2003, and currently serves as a genealogy specialist in the Research Support Branch at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC. He lectures and publishes frequently about the variety of federal records available for family history research. John earned a Master of Arts in American History from the Pennsylvania State University and a Bachelor of Arts in History from Gettysburg College.
Three things about John:
- I am a mega-Civil War buff, and have even done reenacting for awhile.
- I like to read a good Charles Dickens novel.
- When I was really young, my first career aspiration was to be a mountain man like Robert Redford in the movie “Jeremiah Johnson.”
Katie began working at the NARA regional office in Chicago in March 2010 as an archives technician. She performs a variety of duties including working at the reference desk, assisting onsite patrons with genealogy research, and answering written requests. She has a B.A. and B.S. from Central Michigan University, a M.A. in Public History from Loyola University of Chicago, a M.L.I.S. from Dominican University, and a specialist certificate from Wayne State University. She has been a member of the Academy of Certified Archivists since 1996. Katie also has been active in the Midwest Archives Conference and the Society of American Archivists.
Three things about Katie:
- I am originally from the Detroit area and still a loyal Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, and Pistons fan
- I love pop culture and old radio in particular
- I wrote my masters thesis on World War II propaganda
Katherine joined NARA in 1996 and currently works in the Research Support Branch at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC. She answers researcher’s questions by email and in person. She also lectures frequently on beginning genealogy records held by NARA. Katherine has a Master of Arts degree in European History from The George Washington University and a Master of Arts degree in History from Pittsburg State University in Kansas. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in History from Boston University.
Three things about Katherine:
- When I was 14, my family lived in Paris, France. This was the beginning of my love for all things historical.
- I am a big Red Sox fan.
- I have two cats who have trained me well.
Kristen joined the Policy and Planning Staff at NARA in 2007. On the Social Media Team, she works on digital outreach projects like the Our Archives wiki. Kristen has a Master of Library Science degree in Archival Administration from the University of Maryland and a Bachelor of Arts in Historic Preservation from Mary Washington College.
Three things about Kristen:
- I love visiting architectural salvage yards to find materials for my endless craft projects.
- I’m on a mission to locate every farmers’ market in my home county.
- My husband and I have two dogs who love to chase deer but will never, ever be fast enough to catch one.
Larry joined the NARA staff in 2013. He currently works as an Archives Specialist in the Digital Public Access Branch. Before joining DPA in 2014, Larry worked for NARA’s National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis, the National Park Service in Tallahassee, Florida and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington DC. Larry graduated from Florida State University with a Masters degree in Library and Information Science, Marshall University with a Masters degree in History, and West Virginia University with a graduate certificate in Cultural Resource Management.
Three things about Larry:
- I have visited 23 countries and counting.
- I was a radio broadcaster in West Virginia off and on for many years.
- My thesis research focused on corporate Fascism in Nazi Germany.
Mark joined the staff at NARA in 1991. As an archives specialist working in NARA’s Applied Research Division, he works with computer scientists and engineers from supercomputing centers, other government agencies and universities to see what technologies are coming over the horizon that might be useful to NARA. He has a Masters of Public History degree from Sangamon State University (now the University of Illinois, Springfield). He graduated from MacMurray College with a Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science.
Three things about Mark:
- I was the photographer for my high school newspaper.
- I spent an academic year in Ireland as a Senior Fulbright Scholar teaching archivists and archival graduate students at University College Dublin about electronic records.
- I am a fan of the team that has won more world championships than any other U.S. football team – THE GREEN BAY PACKERS!
Mary joined NARA in the summer of 2009 at the Mid-Atlantic location in Philadelphia, and is now a part of the Social Media Team in College Park, MD. She recently graduated from Mount St. Mary’s University with a Bachelor of Arts in History and English, and is currently studying for her Master of Library Science degree in Archival Administration at the University of Maryland.
Three things about Mary:
- Gettysburg, Pa is one of my favorite places to visit– it has everything from battlefields and reenactments to quaint shops and restaurants.
- I have been involved with track and field since middle school, and I threw the hammer in college (think: a nine pound metal ball on a wire swinging around your head!).
- I’m a BIG Phillies phan!
Meredith D. joined NARA in the summer of 2009 and currently works on the Social Media Team in College Park, MD. She earned a Master of Library Science degree with a focus on Archival Administration from the University of Maryland, and a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Science and Economics from Gettysburg College.
Three things about Meredith:
- I was a competitive swimmer throughout high school and college.
- I enjoy camping, hiking, and generally being outdoors. My favorite vacations are active ones.
- My father and I are both graduates of Gettysburg College. I learned the importance of history (and battlefields) at an early age.
Meredith S. joined NARA in 2008 and worked as a program analyst in the Information Security Oversight Office. She currently works with the Digital Strategies and Services Staff at NARA. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Political Science from Gettysburg College.
Three things about Meredith:
- I really enjoy learning about birds and wildlife.
- I served in the Peace Corps in Samoa.
- For two summers in college, I worked at the Crayola Factory.
Theresa is an archivist at the National Archives in St. Louis. She received a Bachelors in History from Oklahoma State University and a Masters in History with a Certificate in Museum Studies from the University of Missouri, St. Louis. Before joining the National Archives she was a Data Entry Archivist with the Missouri Historical Society (Richard A. Gephardt Papers). She has worked as an archivist for NARA – St. Louis for 3 years, which included a two year training program: the Archivist Development Program. Theresa works primarily military personnel records.
Three things about Theresa:
- I own a piece of history.
- I have a bobtail cat………named Bob.
- I taught English as a Second Language in High School and College.